Biking and protective fencing
In recent years the Common has suffered significant damage from bikers who have used the steepness of the terrain for speed and stunts. This not only damages the Common, especilally where they have ploughed new routes through the woodland destroying the understorey, but is also a danger to pedestrians.
Fencing has been erected to prevent furher damage from bikers. This is not intended to be permanent, and will be removed once the Conservators are satisfied that the woodland has sufficiently recovered with its own natural protection from bikers. In the meantime we wish to remind the public that the steepness and narrowness of the woodland paths are inappropriate for cycling which is why cycling is strictly prohibited on any part of the woodland.
Wick House (designed by Sir William Chambers for the artist Sir Joshua Reynolds and built in 1772) is the large dilapidated building at the northernmost point of the Common by the entrance on Richmond Hill (near Nightingale Lane).
Subject to various planning conditions, the building is scheduled to be partially demolished and redeveloped in the near future. This will cause restricted access to the Common from that entrance for a period of time. The Conservators are working with the architect/developer to ensure disruption is mimised.